Awards and Partnerships
STERIS has partnered with the National Safety Council, local safety councils, US Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), and other agencies and associations to create strong alliances in working to protect employees and the environment. Our corporate and local Health, Safety & Environment staff works with local and national agencies to facilitate compliance with applicable regulations and consistency of implementation at the facility level. To that end, STERIS has been recognized by a number of entities including the following:
- Green Seal Certification - STERIS is pleased to announce it has attained the prestigious Green Seal Certification for its Kindest Kare® Foaming Handwash. Green Seal is a non-profit organization that uses science-based programs to empower consumers, purchasers and companies to create a more sustainable world. The reputation of the Green Seal brand has grown to symbolize the highest standard of certification for green products and services.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's SmartWay Transport Partnership Environmental Excellence Award for STERIS's leadership in conserving energy and lowering greenhouse gas emissions from its transportation and freight activities. Recertifications for the SmartWay Transport Partnership Environmental Excellence Award have been achieved during 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- U.S. OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) STAR status has been attained by the following STERIS facilities: Pinecone Biological Operations, Hopkins Road Facility, Mentor Distribution Center, Mentor Research & Development, all located in Mentor, Ohio, St. Louis, Missouri Operations and Product Development Facility, St. Louis Distribution Center, Montgomery Operations in Montgomery, Alabama, and Isomedix Services in Chester, New York.
- OHSAS (Occupational Health & Safety Assessment Series) 18001 Certification has been achieved by the STERIS Tuusula, Finland, Quebec, Canada, and Monterrey, Mexico Facilites; and the Albert Browne Facility in Leicester, UK.
- ISO (International Standards Organization) 14001 Certification has been achieved by STERIS Tuusula, Finland and STERIS Madrid, Spain.
- U.S.Environmental Protection Agency Climate Leaders Partnership, a voluntary program that challenges companies to set an aggressive, corporate-wide greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction goal.
- Evidence of our commitment to the environment and greenhouse gas reductions is our membership with Clean Fuels Ohio (CFO). CFO is a non-profit organization, formed in January 2002. Clean Fuels Ohio's primary goal is to develop public-private projects that deploy vehicles, refueling equipment, and other technologies. These projects lead directly to improved air quality, reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, and increased energy security.
- Amerinet, one of the world's largest healthcare group purchasing associations, has recognized STERIS for its "green" initiatives. STERIS was one of only thirteen companies to receive Amerinet's Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Club (EEP) membership. This recognition is for companies that are focusing on making their business processes and products ecologically friendly. STERIS was recognized for strongly incorporating green aspects into everything it does such as paperless ordering and electronic payments to capital products that use less electricity, water and supplies.
- The Quebec Province LaChance-Morin Award for Occupational Safety for our Quebec City, Quebec, Canada manufacturing facility.
- The Finnish Industrial Safety Board Mechanical-Industrial Award that places the STERIS Tuusula facility as one of the safest in Finland.
- Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation Self Insured Department Excellent Audit awarded STERIS for its management of the STERIS Ohio Self Insured Workers’ Compensation Program, placing it in the top 10% of the 1,200 self insured companies in the state of Ohio.
- STERIS President’s Special Recognition Award for Safety Performance was awarded to the STERIS Global Health, Safety and Environment group for outstanding safety performance.
- Internally, during fiscal year 2014, 23 facilities received awards for safety performance from STERIS's President and C.E.O.
- The National Safety Council awarded STERIS Corporation 18 Safety Leadership Awards for achieving five consecutive years without an occupational injury or illness resulting in lost work days or death.
STERIS Kindest Kare®