Health, Safety & Environment
At STERIS, our mission charges us to help provide a healthier today and a safer tomorrow. We help protect the patient in surgery, the consumer in the pharmacy, and countless other end users. So we feel a special responsibility to protect our employees by committing to the highest standards of workplace Health and Safety, and to the environment.
In fiscal 2004, STERIS embarked on a World-Class Safety Excellence Initiative, which sets the goal of becoming an incident-free company. The cornerstone of this initiative is the belief that accidents result from unsafe acts or conditions, both of which are preventable.
We have developed three principles that have guided our efforts to achieve world-class safety:
- All workplace injuries are preventable.
- Management is responsible for creating and maintaining an environment for safety and injury prevention.
- All employees must be active in, and accountable for, ensuring workplace safety.
To help protect the environment and communities in which we operate, STERIS is committed to the following environmental principles:
- Comply - with all applicable environmental laws, rules, regulations, and corporate standards.
- Educate and Train - employees regarding environmental sensitivity and awareness.
- Integrate - environmental considerations into our business activities, and establish and maintain an environmental management system.
- Develop - and implement environmental performance evaluation procedures and associated indicators.
- Design - products so as to consider their environmental impact during production, use, and disposal.
- Implement - pollution prevention programs to reduce waste and the consumption of natural resources (materials, fuel, and energy).
- Communicate - our commitment to environmental excellence to our employees, customers, suppliers, and the communities in which we operate.
- Work Constructively - with trade associations, government agencies, and others to develop equitable and realistic laws, regulations and standards that protect human health and the environment.
We help make our customers' products and environments safer, to the benefit of the people they serve. And we strive to make our own facilities and people safer, to the benefit of our employees, customers, and investors.
Health & Safety Performance
All rates based on 100 full-time employees (FTE) working one year. 100 FTEs equals 200,000 work hours. STERIS Corporation applies U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration recordkeeping practices worldwide.
Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) - Work-related injuries or illnesses requiring medical attention beyond first-aid.
Lost Workday Injury Rate (LWDI) - Work-related injuries or illnesses that cause an employee to be away from work at least one full day after the date of the incident.